I concocted this broccoli lentil salad to welcome March, and encourage it with a little green to tempt the spring. Mixed greens and spinach are my go-to for a quick salad fix, but some days you want a salad with substance. And this salad is exactly that, as broccoli and lentils are both super healthy and packed with vitamins. In like a lion, out like a lamb? I’m not sure yet, although it is colder than it has been of late. Here’s to an early spring!
Make this salad as-is and pack it up for a quick work lunch. You could also make it on the weekend and serve it with bread. I would serve it with bruschetta or crusty baguette and dip. Spinach dip, bean dip, artichoke dip or hummus!
Broccoli Lentil Salad Serves 4:
1 head of broccoli
1 can of lentils
1/4 cup of dried cherries
1/4 cup of chopped green onion
1 carrot shredded
1/4 cup of feta
2 tablespoons of Parmesan
- Chop one head of broccoli into 1-inch florets. Boil or steam the florets for 2-3 minutes, until barely tender. Immerse the broccoli in a water bath (to keep the vibrant green hue) and place in bowl.
- Rinse lentils and add them to the florets.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the bowl.
White Wine Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the vinegar and olive oil together until combined. Add cumin, salt and pepper and whisk again.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Enjoy this salad as a main course lunch salad or as a side salad served with chicken or salmon. For a decorative presentation, serve the salad in colourful, halved bell peppers, in a purple cabbage leaf or in vintage dishware. Broccoli lentil salad makes a great potluck dish and is a great salad to take on a picnic.