The calender has turned and the leaves have started to change to grades of yellow. Two by two. The heat wave halts. The rains come. Order ushers and cajoles the lazy summer sunshiny days into form. Into shape. As the seasons change, the reasons rearrange. I want to say something big and bold and inspirational about the summer, but I search for the right words and they elude me and scatter off like bunnies whenever I feel close. Instead I will face forward and embrace the coming winds with ideas on layering and padding the home with comfort items like Sugarboo pillows, throw blankets and other fabulous creature comforts that make the heart sing a song of autumnal enchantment.
Layla Grayce has a whole line of Sugarboo pillows , signs and art with quirky designs and sweet inspirational sayings. To create a fresh autumn look in your living room, layer a few graphic pillows with solids, textures and patterns. In the coming months as indoor time increases, think about creating different nooks in the home. Places you can read, play board games, complete craft projects, and watch movies.
Movies like Griff the Invisible, starring Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten) of True Blood fame. Side note: it amazes me how many actors on True Blood pull off total American accents when they are in fact European or Australian. Some good acting there! Side note to the side note: what a finale for True Blood! Back to Griff and the time spent cozied on the couch dreaming up new pillow schematics– what a surprisingly cute film. It is much more of a love story than a super hero action film. Indie love. So cute!
Inspired by this 25 Things post I saw at aka Design, I decided to put my own list of summations together. Summer passed me by like two cars zooming past each other into the lightning lit night. Flares of August heat have given way to a shivery September, an indication of what will come, weather wise.
1. Songza is my new favourite app! It creates play lists in a variety of categories like Office Crowd Pleasers and Drop a Beat Workouts. I am so happy to have found this as I was getting very bored of my own play lists that I listen to at the gym!
2. I needed a new soundtrack to make my life feel like a movie. Who wants to do the voice over?
3. Summer is over.
4. I became a stylist for Stella and Dot and I looooove it! Beautiful jewelry and a dynamic group of awesome, positive people!
5. Plus it feeds my love of pretty shiny things.
6. School brings structure which equals more time to write and uncover decor-tastic images, craft and DIY projects and other goodies!
7. I need to develop a schedule. I love structure.
8. I have become a creature of habit.
9. I realized my home needs more pattern. I use a mixture of solids and textures, but I need more pattern.
10. My favourite patterns right now: herringbone, trellis, paisley, damask, stripes, botanicals and typographic designs.
11. I look forward to the cool weather.
12. I will make butternut squash soup and share my recipe with you.
13. I will make apple crisp and share my recipe too.
14. I must get my painting projects done soon, before it gets really, really cold!
15. What painting projects you ask? You shall see in the coming weeks!
Layer Sugarboo pillows with some solid colours, prints and textures and enjoy the turn of the season. Dream big, and believe in those dreams with all your might!